Global Village Project, Inc.
n 2014, The Nobel Peace Prize went to Malala Yousafzai, who was only 17 at the time, for her tireless advocacy to ensure that girls have the opportunity to be educated. It is the goal of Global Village Project (GVP) to make this educational vision for changing the world a reality for young women who have survived the war-torn journey from their countries to Atlanta, Georgia.
Almost 10 years ago, GVP launched an innovative high school preparatory program for refugee teenage girls with interrupted schooling. The school’s mission is to develop a strong educational foundation for each student within a caring community, using a strengths-based approach and intensive instruction in English language, literacy, academic subjects and the arts. Located in Decatur, Georgia, in space donated by the Decatur Presbyterian Church, the school’s full day academic program serves 40-50 students, ages 11 – 19. Students pay no tuition, and transportation and lunch are provided free of charge. With more than 60% of Georgia’s English learners dropping out of school, we are proud to see that 96% of GVP alumnae who complete the three-year program are successfully moving through high school and college.
About the Position:
Global Village Project seeks a Marketing & Communications Specialist who shares an excitement for our mission and a readiness to pour their knowledge and skills into helping GVP build a powerful marketing and communications strategy. This new team member will play a key role in strengthening GVP’s brand presence by combining the power of storytelling with strategies to support our engagement and fundraising goals.
The Marketing & Communications Specialist will be an active member of our Development team, reporting to the Director of Development. They will also work closely with our Program and Community Engagement teams to create consistent messaging across stakeholder groups. We’re looking for someone excited by the challenge of taking our communications strategy to the next level as we enter our second decade of innovative service – a growth mindset is a must. The individual we’re looking for has a solid grasp of marketing and communications principles, but is excited to jump in and effectively execute on multiple projects, self-prioritize, and craft powerful narratives around GVP’s impact.
- With the support of the Director of Development, create and execute a comprehensive vision for marketing, communications, and branding activities including a project calendar, intended outcomes, audiences, deadlines, and resources.
- Coordinate content development, design, printing, mailing, and distribution of various digital and printed materials in support of programmatic growth and fundraising.
- Manage GVP’s social media and email marketing activities to deepen our engagement and inspire action, including producing engaging content, segmenting audiences, tracking and measuring outcomes, and reporting on results.
- Draft and edit compelling messages for diverse audiences and purposes, including working closely with Program staff to capture student and stakeholder stories.
- Ensure GVP’s website remains engaging and up-to-date through regular edits via a content management system, as well as developing and introducing new content and media.
- Work closely with Development teammates and Program team in coordinating event-specific marketing and communications.
- Develop creative graphic designs that incorporate engaging photos, videos, and graphics that bring our mission to life and inspire action.
- Other duties as required.
Required Skills & Characteristics:
- Passion for empowering and educating diverse young women who have faced enormous barriers to their education.
- 2-5 years of professional marketing/communications experience that aligns with the essential duties of the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or Marketing preferred, but equivalent experience and a strong record of success will be considered.
- Knowledge of branding, communications, and marketing principles combined with a flair for storytelling.
- Proficiency in multiple communications channels including email and social media.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills, including experience creating compelling messages for different audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects at once, with attention to detail and high standards for work product.
- Excitement about working in a small but mighty Development team, collaborating closely with one another and other staff to achieve GVP’s sustainability goals.
- Self-motivated and proactive commitment to constant learning and improvement, both as an individual and as a staff team as a whole.
- Sensitivity to multilingual, multicultural communities and a personal commitment to collaboration that prioritizes and incorporates diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Willingness to embrace an organizational culture that values transparency, open and constructive communication, and collaboration.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Strong eye for design, with experience in the production of graphic collateral and print design projects strongly preferred.
- Experience with web content management, specifically WordPress.
- Experience working with designers, printers, and other vendors.
- Understanding of or willingness to learn digital marketing SEO initiatives including optimizing websites, developing landing pages, leveraging digital and social advertising (ie. Google Ad Grants and Google Analytics).
You’ll be expected to use:
- Salesforce CRM
- Google Suite products (Gmail, Google Cal, Google Drive)
- Google Chat and Flow Project Management
- Adobe CC software preferred (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and/or Canva
- Social Media Platforms (currently Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Microsoft Office products
Job Type: Exempt, Full-time
Salary range is $35,000-$40,000, commensurate with experience. Health insurance benefits are offered to full-time employees. GVP provides the opportunity to work within a vibrant community dedicated to teaching and learning, research, and social service. We are located in downtown Decatur, across the street from the Decatur MARTA station. The position requires a criminal background check.
To apply for this job please visit www.workforgood.org.