The Lighting and Projection Director works closely with the production management and other department heads to realize lighting and projection designs for the Alliance Theatre’s 12 annual productions, including LORT B and D stages, and Theatre for Young Audiences shows. This person is also responsible for overseeing overhire crews, maintaining inventories, helping to prepare plots and other paperwork, and upkeep of accounting documents.
- This is a full-time position with varying hours. Nights and weekends are common through the tech/preview process.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- The day-to-day management of the electrics department.
- Leading staff electricians as well as overhire lighting/projections crews for load-in, notes, and strike calls.
- Collaborating with designers to achieve their vision for all productions.
- Trouble-shooting and prioritizing notes before, during, and following technical rehearsals.
- Preparing plots, rental packages, and other paperwork for load-ins.
- Maintaining lighting and projections inventory by tracking equipment and supplies and doing hands-on maintenance as required.
- Working with production management to identify and address long term needs across multiple venues.
- Managing accounting documents.
- Maintaining excellence in quality and efficiency of work.
- Support venue rental and internal lighting and projection needs.
- Upholding the artistic standards and the mission of the Alliance Theatre.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Must have advanced modern lighting and projection knowledge, including DMX-controlled devices and moving lights, rigging practices, large format projection equipment, and special effects equipment.
- Must have experience programming EOS family consoles and associated network equipment.
- Must have proficient knowledge of Vectorworks Spotlight and Lightwright 5 (or higher).
- Must have complete proficiency with Microsoft Excel, including the ability to create and maintain complex accounting spreadsheets.
- Ideal candidate has moderate or better skills with Watchout and/or D3 projection software or deep interest in learning.
- Must demonstrate superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be incredibly organized and detail oriented.
- Must be a self-starter who can take initiative.
- Five years of professional theater lighting or projections experience.
- Experience in a LORT professional theatre is preferred, experience with commercial productions is ideal.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 60% office work at a computer (option to sit or stand).
- 40% standing, walking, bending, frequent use of hands, stooping and heavy lifting (at least 75 pounds).
- Must be comfortable working on ladders, lifts, and elevated working areas (catwalks, grids, scenery, etc.).
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To apply for this job please visit www.woodruffcenter.org.