High Museum of Art
Reporting to the Director of Collections and Exhibitions, the Exhibition Designer will manage the design and production for the High’s collection galleries and special exhibition projects.
All duties will be approached in a manner consistent with the High’s commitment to growth, inclusivity, collaboration and connectivity.
- Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Manages the overall exhibition design process of collection galleries and special exhibitions to enhance the curatorial, educational and interpretive vision for an exhibition through the layout of artwork, creation of additional walls/spaces, color, lighting and the thoughtful and innovative integration of interpretive elements, including technology. The Exhibition Designer works closely and collaboratively with museum staff and third parties such as artists, lenders, co-organizers, vendors. (65%)
- Uses current technology to design and produce exhibition scaled floor plans and elevations including layout of walls, casework, specific detailed object placement (case layouts) and color schemes in consultation with design team and curator of record.
- Creates three dimensional models, quick concept sketches and renderings.
- Collaborates with graphic designers, technology and education interpretation on graphic, technology and interpretive elements of each exhibition or installation.
Working with Exhibitions and Preparator departments, develops the schedule for construction and object installation in galleries and actively participates in the installation, making aesthetic decisions regarding presentation and lighting of artworks in consultation with curator(s). (30%)
- Consults with curators, registrars and preparators to determine the methods, materials and display techniques for the presentation of works.
- Develops construction and production drawings for contractors, fabricators, and other vendors; supervises vendors on site.
- Coordinates contract bidding, generating contracts and managing and tracking payments
Manages exhibition documentation and project budget expenses related to the design and production of exhibition and project installations (5%)
- Budget forecasting, managing, and reconciling of expenses for each project.
- Documents each installation and special exhibition.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
BA / BFA or MA / MFA in architecture / industrial design / studio arts, with 5 to 10 years museum design experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to interpret and provide instructions in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Maintains workflow according to project schedules, with a variety of tasks and deadlines
- Ability to solve problems and prioritize needs in a variety of situations when immediate decisions may be necessary.
- Highly collaborative and exceptional interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of museum display standards
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Vectorworks and AutoCAD, TMS preferred
To apply for this job please visit www.woodruffcenter.org.